Tina - An HBO Original Documentary

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

"It's hard when the worst parts of your life has been an inspiration" Angela Bassett

I hear this and for me Tina was my hero, not because she encouraged me to leave an abusive relationship, I've been blessed to never have had this experience; but because my heroes didn't fly or have any other super powers.  My heroes OVERCAME and that's what made them more powerful than anything, anyone, any obstacle; more powerful than any mountain in front of them, nothing measured up to their determination.
I remember watching What's Love Got to do With It, I remember having the cassette tape and I remember saying to myself, Tina Turner is my hero. I just marveled at and felt, even at that age, a sense of pride for being black and a sense of pride that this black woman is packing stadiums and the whole stadium is rocking with her.  You just don't come from where she started, through those dark days and end up packing stadiums as a black woman, it's un-heard of and for that she truly defines what a hero is to me.

"No I don't consider it a comeback, Tina had never arrived" Tina Turner


This documentary brought her into the light of the "legend" I already knew she was.  It gives her, her flowers before she's gone. It tells the story we know but with the ending the movie could never truly capture because her life and work are still going, still as impressive and relevant today as they were at that time in her life.  I love this documentary for being honest but for nurturing her story instead of punching you in the face with the truth for shock value to a new generation. 
It's lovely to see her smile, to learn of her love story, to see her in love and adored and most of all, it's just lovely to see Tina. I mean it's Tina Turner.

Oh So Worth a View, Tina an HBO Original Documentary...



No comments

Powered by Blogger.