Young, Gifted and Black?

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

My daughter Ariel, watches the show Black-ish.  Says its not all what she thought it would be and that it really is funny and extremely relevent to today.

I've watched a few episodes with her and once while jumping on my son's Hulu account, I wandered over to the spin-off of Black-ish, Grown-ish.  Totally and completely in love with this show.  Yes, my grown ass is in love with this show about a young girl's college experience and her learning who she is and realizing that as much as you do know is as much as you don't know.  Which leads me to my post.

Yara Shahidi is not only beautiful but she's young gifted and black?  I placed the question mark in my title and I place it here because as we all know the United States history and the one-drop rule.  So with that being said, not only is she young, gifted and black, she's young gifted and Iranian.  She's young gifted and an advocate for women and youth and PEOPLE.  She's young gifted and is a student at Yale, so need I say more about how intelligent she is?  She's young, gifted and she is our future, so I am removing her race or races from your perception and asking you to read her interview in Harper's Bazaar Arabia and see her for the "human being" that she is Oh So Worth A Read!

P. S.
You know, we place so much responsibility on the shoulders of our youth, maybe we just need to add some weight to our own....Ams Sel

No comments

Powered by Blogger.