This Man Painted Black Women In Traditional Korean Hanbok And It's Beautiful

Sunday, March 21, 2021

The Flower Has Bloomed

I admit it, I'm not a fan of Graffiti.  Not the content, but the lack of respect of other people's property. I find it to be cowardice to spray paint letters, symbols, etc. with no regard for whose property you are defacing or someone else's work and all the time, energy and heart they put into their mural.  Have you ever driven on the 101 freeway thru downtown Los Angeles? Even the murals of children are defaced and held with no respect.  So I am so happy to share this artist and his Graffiti and shed light on how beautiful this could be. 

Scrolling thru Pinterest I came across this article by Lauren Han, entitled This Man Painted Black Women in Traditional Korean Hanbok and It's Beautiful.  Who is this man? His name is Christian "Royyal Dog" Chanyang Shim; and when I say these murals are some of the most beautiful murals I have ever seen, I truly truly mean it.  I cannot say enough about the purity, the joy and just the respect I feel as a black women, to be thought of and represented in such an endearing way.  



                                      I'm Spring, You're a Flower and You Have Bloomed in Me


                                              Peace I Leave With You, May Peace I Give You



You Will Become a Blessing

So taken with his murals, I had to see more, I had to know more.
He's from Seoul Korea and not only did he study animation he also studied pastoral studies and leans on his faith and believes.  When given to the opportunity to paint a mural at The Container Yard, he decided to, as he put it, "show that black beauty and Hanbok can come together to create something even more beautiful,".  And of course he has a Facebook account, www.facebook.com/graffitiroyyaldog, IG account, RoyyalDog and he has his own website, www.royyaldog.com/hanbok-murals.  Trust me they do not disappoint.  His Facebook account has incredible murals of Kobe and Gigi, IG account even has a map of where to find his murals in both Korea and the world, while is website has time lapse videos of the creation of some of his work and a two part video feature on The Container Yard, which is where it all started with his bringing together his Korean culture and the beauty of black women and soon the women of other cultures, by sharing his gift.  

Even his wife surrounded by the first flowers he gave her, are shared with the world thru his gift.  

Haven't felt this moved in a while, you know that feeling of someone's gift touching your soul.  
Oh So Worth A View, Royyal Dog Hanbok Murals. 







No comments

Powered by Blogger.