And You Thought You Had Doubts About Yourself...

Monday, November 18, 2019
This woman never ceases to amaze me and to inspire me with her humility.  To know where you are going you have to know where you come from, where you have been...stop doubting yourself and let your humility take you to who you are meant to be and what you are meant to do.
Oh So Worth A View, Viola Davis, People magazine interview.
"When I thought of beauty and femininity...I didn't associate it with myself."
"I internalized rejection, that you were just cementing what I thought about myself, that I wasn't attractive, I didn't have a commercial look, ...feminine enough, light enough, so I just settled on that."
"There's always joy, I don't care what anyone says, there are always moments of joy."
"Sometimes people have to give yourself permission to see yourself as better or more than you are or what you think you are."
"You have to understand I am the product of a culture that has dictated who I am, a dark skinned black women with lips and a nose and a deep voice, so what I have been told my whole life is what it means to be a woman."
"That job, (How to Get Away With Murder), gave me permission to see my womanhood and all of my womanhood." And you thought you had doubts about "Yourself"!
So many judgments, so many negative connotations laid against her, yet this woman has won in the course of a decade, a Tony, an Emmy and an Oscar and if she wins a Grammy, she will be in the company of only 15 fellows, (Audrey Hepburn, Mel Brooks, Rita Moreno, not bad at all) and only the 3rd black person, Whoopi Goldberg and John Legend, to achieve such a great feat.
Unbelievable what being defined in all the wrong ways and doubting yourself because of that definition, will hold you back from achieving.  Oh So Worth A View, Viola Davis, People Magazine Interview.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.