Oh So Worth A Listen - DJ QuestLove Presents

Saturday, January 9, 2021


Music is all over the place and it wasn't until this pandemic that we realized how close yet so far away, it  could be.

I had plans in 2020 to hit more live shows, stadium size to not so great dives with great music. Let's face it, I live in LA so what's there not to experience here, especially musically. With my options dwindled down to live streams and sets as my new music experience and community, I jumped into one of my favorite DJ's set on Youtube, Questlove. 

I was not ready, heck, WE WERE NOT READY.  No one knew this would last this long, no one in our life time had ever experienced a global pandemic and here it was at our very doorstep.  Quest never thought he would drop over 100 sets and we never anticipated being along for the ride.The music and the community we have formed have far outweighed the weights of the pandemic and the isolation that has come with it.  Quest drops knowledge, like the origin of samples, the history behind some of the greatest artist of our time present today and longed for every day.  I've heard Michael Jackson in the studio running thru songs before they ever made it to vinyl.  I got to listen to and learn music from Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, one of his most critically acclaimed albums. How many of you knew that Do You Think I'm Sexy by Rod Stewart is a stolen sample of the strings from Bobby Womack's "If You Want My Love, Put Something Down On It"? Speaking of Bobby Womack, I never knew he was Sam Cooke's protĂ©ge, uuumm and married his wife 3 months after he died.  Yes there is more detail but....

Back to my point and reason for this Oh So Worth A Listen post.  I have found joy, laughter and just mouth dropping moments in these sets. I have helped to feed kids who now have nothing to eat because breakfast and lunch at school were their only meals of the day. I now have a QQ Family and we text every day and we get together for Zooms and Meets. We even brought in 2021 together in the New Year's eve set and hung in a Zoom 'til we out here on the west coast struck midnight. 

Quest drops sets across multiple platforms, but the best and yes I'm bias cause my ass is older and one platform is MORE THAN ENOUGH for me to manage, is Youtube.com.  You can find his sets and even find me and my peeps at The Roots, DJ Questlove Presents

Oh So Worth A Listen, in a time of forced life changes and a need to connect to music in new ways,
DJ Questlove Presents. 




No comments

Powered by Blogger.